The reaction to the Nikon V1 has been "love it or hate it", I obviously belong to the former category. Now that they are a dime a dozen (well, 300$/€ with kit zoom), I decided to get another one and convert it to IR. I couldn't find instructions online, but the process is quite simple. The usual disclaimers apply: you will void your warranty, you could damage your camera and you may even hurt yourself. Proceed at your own risks.
If you still wish to do this, you'll need:
- a Nikon V1
- an IR filter (or any filter of your choice). I bought mine from Kolari vision, but if you wish to cut your own the dimensions are circa 21*18*2 mm (measured with a ruler)
- a small cross slot screwdriver. I used a JIS 00, but those are hard to find so a Philips 00 should work
- a flat jeweler's screwdriver
- a way to keep track of the screws. I draw a rough outline of the stage I'm at on a leaf of paper, and use adhesive tape to attach the screws where they belong
- Some way to get rid of the dust. I used a visible dust brush, but canned air should do the trick
Step 1 - opening the back
Remove the battery before proceeding.
The back is held in place by 8 screws: two on each side and two on the bottom (the ones near the back side) are obvious. The remaining two are on the viewfinder. To reach them you have to remove the diopter adjustment knob. Using the flat screwdriver lift the sticker (with the +/- signs) and you will find a screw that holds the knob. Once the knob is gone you can remove the rubber eyecup and reveal the last screws. There is also some tape on the left side of the viewfinder, that has to be removed or cut. You can then remove the back. Pull and wiggle gently, there are a few clips. Don't pull too hard, the back is connected to the main board by a ribbon cable on the right. Once it's free, lift the back from the left side, disconnect the cable by lifting the connector (orange circle in the next post) and put the back away.
There is a small frame around the viewfinder, be careful not to lose it.
Edited by renaud, 29 May 2013 - 15:41 .